How to Practice Product Stewardship
One aspect that should be considered when shopping responsibly for really natural products is product stewardship
. Product stewardship involves looking at the lifecycle of a product, from manufacturing to disposal. The Environmental News Network
offers eight tips for practicing product stewardship:
- Stay Informed-find out what companies are doing to reduce their carbon footprints and reduce their use of harmful chemicals.
- Spend Some Dough-sustainably produced products cost more money.
- Locate Your Products-shop locally, such as at a farmers' market, to avoid buying goods that have been transported thousands of miles.
- Check the ingredients-read the labels! Remember, natural and organic are marketing terms without clear definitions on the US, especially for beauty products.
- Reduce Your Packaging-Look for products with less packaging and use canvas shopping bags at every store you shop, not just the grocery store.
- Take Advantage of Take Backs-Many companies offer to dispose of old products for you, especially electronics.
- Close the Loop-purchase product with high percentages of post-consumer recycled content.
Read More in: General News
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Really Natural for all the latest news.
Posted by Jennifer Lance at February 12, 2008 6:27 AM