November 7, 2008
Really Natural's 2008 Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide
We've elected a new president who has promised us change, and you can do your part to bring about positive change for the environment and healthful living this holiday season by giving eco-friendly gifts. Less is more when living life naturally: less chemicals, less toxins, less stuff. Live life simply this holiday season and give gifts with small carbon footprints from sustainable companies. During these hard economic times, we have focused on value in our 2008 Eco-Friendly Holiday Gift Guide, but we also recognize that value goes beyond monetary amounts to larger issues of conservation and sustainability.
For Baby and Kids
- Certified organic, fair trade, low impact dyes: what could be better? Go Natural Baby offers such eco-goodness in its Zah Collection of children's clothing. Go Natural Baby™ will only put our name on products that are made with
Fair Trade values, including providing a healthy work environment for
its workers, paying a fair wage, and ensuring that children are not in
the work environment.
- Laptop Lunches are the big craze at my daughter's school.Although I try to avoid plastic, in children's lunches, plastic is a
safer alternative than glass, and Laptop Lunches are BPA-free. The Laptop Lunch System is inspired by the Japanese Bento.
The little compartments ensure you will pack your child a balanced meal with
many choices, as well as appropriately-sized servings. The Laptop Lunch
can be washed on the top shelf of the dishwasher.
- Envirosax kids series
reusable shopping bags appeal to little ones with their designs, and children's excitement to have their own bag helps parents remember to use their own reusable bags in every store,
not just the grocery store. Envirosax are very compact, which makes
them easy to toss into a purse or backpack. They are also great for wrapping other presents in!
Energy Saving Gadgets
has created a line of biodynamic, organic beauty products. Grown on
their own certified biodynamic and organic farms in South Australia,
each product combines herbs, flowers, and naturally derived
ingredients. These products do not contain parabens, mineral oils,
propylene glycol, sodium lauryl, sulfate, synthetic emulsifiers,
artificial colors, or fragrances.
- What is Green Science? Green Science is a line of Aveda facial products
clinically proven to lift, making lines and wrinkles less visible in
four weeks. I've been using several of these products, and I really
like the Green Science Lifting Serum. This
serum promotes surface skin cell regeneration, moisturizes, and firms
skin. It is made from bio-fermented glucosamine, organic argan oil,
anti-oxidants and peptides.
- Gilden Tree's two-sided Terra Cotta Footscrubber and Callus Remover
is the perfect tool for giving yourself an eco pedicure. Ranked as "The
Best" by "O" (Oprah) magazine, this footscrubber is long-lasting, easy
to clean, and eco-friendly. It is made by a women's cottage industry in
Pakistan, and if used regularly, it helps remove calluses, and reduces
- Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk
is an amazing beauty product! This gentle cleanser is made from plant
oils that leave the skin feeling soft and healthy. Soothing jojoba
,almond, and rice germ oils combine with anthyllis extract to nourish
your skin. Fermented grain extracts and vitamin B strengthen and
fortify your skin, while gently removing impurities and dirt from your
face. Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk is perfect for all skin types! All ingredients are GMO-free and biodynamically grown. Dr. Hauschka products are truly natural!
- Splurge on an iPhone, then your loved one can choose from five applications to help them save fuel!
From finding the cheapest price per gallon to graphing your fuel
economy, these iPhone apps can help you find out what your car's gas
mileage really is so you can be a better hypermiler!
- Did you know that gas-powered lawn equipment is a major source of greenhouse gases? Operating your gas mower for one hour will produce the same pollution as driving a car 1300 miles! Depending on your source of electric power, the Black & Decker Cordless Mulching Lawn Mower may be an ideal item for lessening a loved one's carbon footprint. This is the only cordless mower to receive an Energy Star rating.
- USBCELL AA Rechargeable Batteries
are like other rechargeable batteries in the sense that you can use
them hundreds of times; however, these batteries can be recharged using
the USB port of your computer. There is no need for a separate charger,
and they are easy to use. Just pop off the cap and plug them in to your
computer. Over 15 billion batteries are discarded each year. Don't toss
'em, recharge 'em!
- Less is more when it comes to fashionable denim, as most Americans have more clothes than they need. Del Forte Denim
offers sweatshop-free, organic cotton, designer jeans. These jeans
combine high fashion with sustainability. Del Forte Denim participates
in the Sustainable Cotton Project (SCP).
- Founded in 1992, Maggie's is one of the first companies to offer US consumers affordable, organically grown cotton clothing.
Maggie's Functional Organics make the best organic, fair trade cotton tights! These tights contain 73% certified organic Peruvian cotton, 22% nylon, 3% lycra, and 2% rubber.
- Prana clothing products have long been the favorite of climbers and outdoor enthusiasts. Comfort and durability are synonymous with the brand, and now organic cotton material and sustainable energy practices make the prAna Divine Organic Cotton Pant truly eco-friendly. Perfect for yoga or just lounging around, these pants truly live up to their name "Divine". They are made made from 90% organic cotton with 10% spandex for stretch. Not only are these pants
made from organic cotton, but they are manufactured using renewable wind energy.
You don't always have to buy something to show your love. Giving a charity donation to an environmental group in a loved one's name or buying your friends and family members carbon credits are eco-friendly and socially responsible options for any holiday. Don't forget the pets this holiday season and give them eco-friendly treats! You also peruse our monthly round-ups for more great natural gifts and ideas to celebrate this winter holiday season.
Read More in: Holiday
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Really Natural for all the latest news.
Posted by Jennifer Lance at November 7, 2008 1:09 AM
I'm so glad to see that there a lot of ways to help save the earth.
Hi, this is Emily, I am interning at Jurlique and came across you blog entry about Eco-friendly gifts! I dont think there could be a better time for eco-gifting, and wanted to thank you for mentioning Jurlique. Please let me know if you need anything!
Natural products or products made from the nature will be very fine than the artificial creams and beauty products. The information provided by you is great and Thanks for the information
Subscribe - RSS