Use Your Spending Power to Save the Earth
Big Green Purse
, written by Diane MacEarchern, is a great resource for women wishing to shop greener. By changing our spending habits, Diane believes we can create a "cleaner, greener world", and I agree.
It's simple, but potentially revolutionary. When we buy green products, we encourage manufacturers to reduce pollution, save energy and water, use less packaging, and protect natural areas like rain forests. With this book, women everywhere can learn how to shop smart and change the world.
The book begins by recapping environmental problems and discusses principles for green shopping and avoiding greenwashing. The majority of the book then discusses specific ways you can shift your spending on common commodities to positively impact the environment.
- Go Green-simple suggestions of immediate, green lifestyle changes
- Make the shift-eco-friendly product recommendations
- Ecocheap-ways to save money and shop green
- Shop talk-suggestions for encouraging local merchants to carry more green goods
- Green at work-how to make your work place more eco-friendly
- Thumbs up-a rating for products, services, and practices that really live up to their green claims
- Thumbs down-greenwashing
- In my house-a green reality check for your home
The power of the purse or wallet cannot be denied, as companies respond to what people spend money on. This is already evident by the increase of organically grown products available in today's market. Consumer spending power is a powerful force in a capitalist society.
Read More in: Really Natural Books
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Really Natural for all the latest news.
Posted by Jennifer Lance at April 28, 2008 5:44 AM